Yesterday we went to La Jolla to check out the seals and play in the sand. We were happy to see quite a few seal pups, since its that time of year again. We got there just before 10 and were pleasantly surprised to find many parking options - this area is always such a parking nightmare. We watched the seals from above while we waited for some of our friends.
The girls were laughing at some of the seals because it looked like they were waving at us. Some were swimming in the water, and its always cool to see them going out of the water and onto the beach. Eliza said they look like caterpillars when they move.
We walked down on the walkway when our friends got there and were really close to one of the cutest little pups.
Audrey - happy to be dry and safe from any waves crashing in, and looking at the seals right below us.
We walked over to Shell Beach next and plopped down our towels, sand toys, lunch, and flip flops. The kids grabbed a bucket and began searching for shells right away.
Eliza's friend Alina, from her Kindergarten class, was able to join us for a while. Her mom and I had a chance to chat too.
Eliza, Alina, and Lincoln playing by the water. The girls were running away screaming and laughing and Lincoln was so cute just wondering what had gotten into them.
Audrey stayed back at the "camp" and played with the toys. She was super excited when she talked Lincoln and Eliza into getting her bucket after bucket of water to splash and play in.
When our friends slowly began to leave, we decided to stay a bit longer and explore down further on the beach.
Eliza
I was reminded of my childhood - especially Papa as I found some small pieces of sea glass. We always used to find it along the shores of Lake Erie. Its funny how the sea glass brings to mind my Papa, and shell collecting brings to mind my Grandma and our many trips to Florida. Both Papa and Grandma were always finding the sea glass at Lake Erie and the shells in Florida, but for some reason I have them separated in my mind. Regardless, I was thinking of them both as the girls and I walked along the beach filling their buckets with the many treasures we found.
Coincidence? As were were walking back towards our towels, I got a call from my sister Matilda that Papa was in the hospital. He had apparently had an ear infection around Easter that he didn't call the doctor about. The infection spread to the bones in his neck and he was feeling dizzy and tired. He was admitted, given IV antibiotics, and he had to stay overnight.
Thankfully he has been sent home with antibiotics, but another reality has come sooner than my family expected. My grandma has dementia, her "good" days are fewer and far between. She seems to do better when she is at home, and when she is with Papa. Still, there are times that she doesn't know him and she's been waking in the middle of the night confused more and more. When they were in the hospital, a social worker came by to talk to them, my mom and my aunt. They told them that they need to put Grandma in a home and that she's too far past where Papa can take care of her anymore. I know this will be better for her and for Papa, but it is going to be hard. I wish I could be there to give more support to my family - and selfishly, so that they could give more to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment
THANKS FOR COMMENTING, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM MY WONDERFUL READERS!!!