Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hale Farm and Village

Today my sisters and I took the kids to check out Hale Farm.  It is a place that we visited often as kids, usually on school tours.  Lloyd decided to go help his grandpa with a pool, so it was just the girls.  They had fun exploring and pretending they lived back in olden times...


The Girls.


The original Hale house.


In one of the settlement houses, Kyrie just walked over to look out the window.  I ran outside to snap this quick picture before she turned back around to see what her cousins were up to.


One of the barns, had a broom making demonstration, then the kids had fun testing them out.


The candle making was something I remember well from childhood.


Another lady showed us how the yarn was made back then.  Starting with shearing the sheep, combing the wool, dying it, and finally spinning it into yarn.  The kids all tried rolling a small piece into yarn, and then they got to keep it.


When we crossed the street to see the rest of the village, there were chickens that came right up to us on the path.

 

In another barn, we learned about making grain from corn.  Eliza and Sage tried grinding it.

 

We pet the sheep outside.


and played with some old-fashioned toys in another house from the period.



Isabella and Amanda outside the Herrick House - moved from Twinsburg, Ohio in 1981.  It is modeled to be the home of a family with a successful dairy farm.


Isabella and Audrey outside the Goldsmith House - moved from Willoughby, Ohio and opened at Hale Farm in 1985.


The schoolhouse


Isabella, Sage, Audrey, and Eliza - ready for school.


The 3 oldest girls each took turns reading a few lines in front of the class.  Eliza did really great, even showing emotion when the boy cried wolf!

The kids seemed to have fun, and it was a nice day.  We only went in the afternoon, so some of the buildings were already closed before we made it around to them.  The blacksmith was our last stop, and he was just closing up as well.  He said it takes about and hour and a half to open each morning, and a half hour to close up.

1 comment:

  1. I wish my girls had cousins close to their age!

    And, I love seeing Audrey in Eliza's special red dress. I have to do a double take, since my brain wants to see Eliza. :)

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR COMMENTING, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM MY WONDERFUL READERS!!!