My childhood memories are full of time spent at Grandma and Papa's house. My sisters, cousins, and I spent lots of time playing in their basement, and often playing with Papa's collection of old banks. He has shelves full of them! Most of them have moving parts - a monkey that jumps and puts the penny in a man's bag, a cannon that shoots the penny into a wall, a creepy clown whose hand brings the penny up, into his mouth...
So when Papa told me he wanted the girls to pick one out to have, I was beyond excited.
They had been admiring one that I have (the monkey one) and were pretty excited too. So we all went over to Papa's house and headed down to the basement.
After spending close to 45 minutes down there testing them out and admiring all of them, Eliza chose this astronaut on the moon, holding an American flag. It doesn't have any moving parts, but she loves it!
Audrey picked this awesome Jonah and the Whale bank. The penny gets placed on Jonah's back and when you push the button, it goes into the whale's mouth. It is one of my favorites!
I also got to pick one, so I picked a Santa Claus that drops the penny down the chimney. It reminds me of all of Grandma's Santa's that she always had out for Christmas.
When we left to head back to San Diego at the end of this trip, Eliza asked so innocently if Papa would be here when we come back. It was a very hard question to answer since he is almost 93 years old, and we aren't going to see them until probably July. I had a really hard time getting to the airport and onto the plane. Lots of tears.
What a cool gift. Collections like his are rare. Praying that you all see him again in July.
ReplyDelete