Friday at noon Audrey and I went to pick up Eliza at preschool. We jumped back in the car and headed north to the Mission at San Juan Capistrano. I had seen pictures from my cousin Pam last spring and have wanted to go for a visit since we moved here. It was such a beautiful and amazing place! The girls and I spent a few hours there walking all around, taking pictures, and reading some of the history of the mission.
We packed a lunch and ate it first thing since it was 1:00 when we arrived. This inner courtyard area was the perfect setting for our picnic. We ate and watched the Koi swimming in the fountain.
A woman who worked at the mission, told us that if you clap your hands out over the water, the fish would all swim over to us... and it worked! Talk about 2 happy girls.
After lunch, we were ready to explore!
The girls were adorable running around holding hands.
They led the way through this arched gateway...
to the famous bells. The 2 larger ones were cast in 1796, and the 2 smaller ones in 1804.
Next we followed the path around towards the front of the Great Stone Church. We came upon a great little fountain and made wishes as we each threw a penny in.
Audrey inside the remains of the Great Stone Church - it collapsed in an earthquake in 1812 and was never rebuilt.
Stone benches were scattered all throughout the mission among the beautiful gardens.
Eliza and Audrey were happy to venture off of the main paths to check out some small garden paths and little archways.
I was happy that Eliza wanted me to read the signs to her. I hope mine and Dominic's love of history will rub off on the girls. The pictures above are of the Olive Mill they used to make olive oil.
In the gardens, Eliza recognized the cilantro like we are growing in a little coffee can.
The sign in front of the Blacksmith exhibit included a "Can You Find?" section with pictures and names of some of the old tools they used. Eliza and I had fun finding all of them.
Eliza posing in front of the drying racks that they used to preserve food.
Eliza was happy to pose for lots of pictures with beautiful flowers, and this big grapevine. This was the site of the very first vineyard in California and the first winery was built here in 1783.
We had fun taking pictures in this great doorway...
Eliza's best pucker...
Gazing into each others' eyes...
and the best picture of the day!
After a few hours, we headed out to the car and met up with Lupe. She took the girls home with her, so that Dominic and I could have a date night. This was the perfect place to meet in between San Diego and LA. The girls and I had fun, and would love to share this place with friends and family in the future.
Best picture of the day is RIDICULOUSLY cute. Love it. Makes me miss those girls even more.
ReplyDelete